Thursday, January 11, 2007

Interview #1 with the Mastermind

You’ll be able to finally get that inside look at expert hotcake-making, the perks of being Brian Murphy and much more!

Q: What’s it like to be a senior development chef at Bob Evans?
A: We work hand-in-hand with marketing, pick a category on the menu to improve upon or further develop. Then, they turn us lose! It’s really blue sky development. Once we have the direction I go into the kitchen thinking I’m going to play with hotcakes today.

I really love what I do. It’s like being a mad scientist – I get to create new things and that’s a lot of fun. People always ask where I get my inspiration – a lot of it comes from personal experiences, my mom and grandma’s food, T.V., customer feedback (or blogger feedback!), periodicals, the internet, of course, and sometimes the radio.


Q: What is the BEST part about working at Bob Evans?
A: I get to eat all day long! But seriously, the interaction I have with the other departments. It’s a great time to be in the department; there is a lot of energy and we’re really trying to stay true to our core but make sure we stretch ourselves to keep up with the competitive market for younger customers.


Q: Personally, what is your favorite flavor of hotcakes?
A: Hands down – the caramel banana pecan cream!


Q: When you make hotcakes with your son, Patrick, what is his favorite way to help in the kitchen?
A: Patrick really like to crack the eggs, measure the dry ingredients and sift them – he loves to use the sifter!

Thanks Brian! Keep checking up for updates and tips from Brian. Hopefully by now you've had a chance to try our new hotcakes - if so, let us know what you think!

(Be sure to check out the eBay auction that started this morning - 10 days and counting to win a 3-day trip to have breakfast with company founder Bob Evans)

No comments: